The next time you are purchasing a product online, make sure you enquire about its warranty and service eligibility.
According to a survey by MySmartPrice, a price comparison platform, among the people who claimed warranty on products bought online, a whopping 54 percent of them said that were denied warranty at least once.
As per the study, 55 percent of the respondents said warranty claim process took more than a month to complete whereas 45 percent of the respondents stated that the process of claiming warranty for a product online is usually completed within a week or two.
MySmartPrice said that denying warranty and delay is due to the "conflict between service centres and respective brands, or because of lack of service centres in the complainant's location."
Commenting on the survey findings, MySmartPrice Co-Founder Sitakanta Ray said: "While it is heartening to see several brands take an online only approach, it is also disappointing to see some brands turning away customers who bought their product online for service."
He further said: "To the few who do find the product defective, it is also important that both stores and brands work together to solve their issues."
The study draws insights from over 20,000 consumers who shopped through the MySmartPrice platform. It gauged shoppers concerns related to denial of warranty; need to claim warranty, and duration taken to claim the warranty.
Some of the reasons for denying warranty included lack of a bill from retailer or a stamp of the retailer on the warranty book.
Friday, December 26, 2014
Wednesday, December 17, 2014
Our newsroom is full of people who mostly shop online, and it's safe to say that many people reading this also buy a lot of things from sites like Flipkart and Amazon. But sometimes you get products that are not up to the mark for one reason or the other. If you bought something online but need to return it though, then the process is really simple as long as you do it right away.
We've already explained the process for Amazon, but if you're a Flipkart shopper, the process is equally simple. This is what you need to do:
1. Go to your Flipkart Orders page.
2. You'll see a list of all your recent orders on this page. You can return items up to one month from the date of delivery, so don't take too much time to do this. Find the item you need to return, and click the Return button on the right.
3. On the next page you'll have to select reasons for return - this could be a missing item in your shipment, the wrong item, quality issues, or defective product. Choose the specific problem from the next drop down menu, and explain the problem in the comments box.
4. In the next drop down menu, the only option you can select is to request a new piece. Once that's done, click on the REQUEST RETURN button on the bottom right to confirm the return.
5. That's it - Flipkart will then contact you to confirm that a return is required, and will do the pickup from the address you ordered from. This can take a few days. In case you need to return the item from a different address, make sure you tell the customer care operative who calls.
6. Flipkart will then send someone to collect the item, and send a replacement. You'll get email updates throughout the process, and a receipt when the book is collected, which you should keep safe until the replacement arrives.
Have you ever received the wrong item from an online seller? What did you buy and what did you get? Tell us about your experience via the comments.